Attorney Sean McCarthy is well versed in complex commercial disputes and handles the firms’ international litigation practice. He has handled international disputes involving the North American Trade Agreement, oil and gas assets in Africa, and insurance disputes in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. He also leads the firm’s insurance litigation docket and regularly represents policyholders and beneficiaries against insurance companies covering wrongfully denied or underpaid insurance claims in the areas of medical, property, and life insurance. Beyond international and insurance disputes, Sean has maintained a broad litigation practice including representing clients seeking payment from state and federal governments condemning private property and class actions on behalf of individuals and business entities.
Sean has experience in all aspects of civil litigation, including discovery, expert witness preparation, motion practice, oral arguments, mediation, domestic and international arbitration, and trial. He has tried cases as first-chair in state and federal court. He has successfully argued before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals during the British Petroleum Deepwater Horizon class action litigation. He has represented clients against the State of Texas, United States of America, big tobacco, the largest insurance companies, and international oil companies.
His breadth of experience and skills are a valuable addition to the Williams Hart team, where we have the knowledge and access to resources necessary in battling any organization or state that has violated the rights of an individual. And Sean will not back down from any battle; there is nothing that will hinder his tenacity to do what is right for his clients.
Sean is licensed to practice in Texas, as well as before all four federal district courts of Texas and the United States Courts of Appeals for the Fifth, Ninth, and Eleventh Circuits. He is a member of several legal professional associations and was named a Super Lawyers Texas Rising Stars in 2014-2018 and 2020-2021.
Areas of Practice
- Energy, Oil and Gas Litigation
- Shareholder Rights Disputes
- Directors & Officers Liability
- Investor Litigation
- Fraud Claims
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty Claims
- Contract Disputes
- Business Torts
- Domestic & International Arbitration
- University of Houston Law Center
- Juris Doctorate, magna cum laude, 2008
- Editor of the Houston Law Review, 2007-2008
- Member of the Order of the Coif
- Member of the Order of Barons
- United States Air Force Academy
- Bachelor of Science, Political Science, 2000
Legal Memberships & Professional Affiliations
- American Association of Justice
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- United States Air Force Academy Association of Graduates
Licensed to Practice
- United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- All United States District Courts in Texas
- Super Lawyers Texas Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, 2014-2017