Schedule a Free Consultation with Our Team Today
In 2018, the FDA issued an alert to health care professionals and patients in regards to a voluntary recall of several drug products containing valsartan, which were found to a have a manufacturing impurity known as N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA). It’s important that users taking Valsartan know that NDMA is a probable human carcinogen that is linked to an increased risk of liver, colorectal, stomach, pancreatic, and kidney cancer.
Billions Recovered for Our Clients
Contact us today at (888) 220-0640 to start your FREE consultation.
The Valsartan lawsuits attorneys at Williams Hart are actively investigating claims on behalf of faultless patients who took Valsartan at the direction of their physician and who have suffered some personal injury related to the drug.
Your wellbeing may be dependent on the medication you take to lead a healthy life. When these medications are unsafe – and can actually cause you harm – you deserve justice.
Contact our Valsartan injury lawsuit attorneys at Williams Hart today at (888) 220-0640 to schedule your FREE, no-obligation consultation.
About Valsartan Lawsuits
Valsartan is used in angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARB) to treat high blood pressure, recent heart attacks, and heart failure. The drug was approved by the FDA in 1996. However, it wasn’t until 2018 that investigators identified that certain lots from overseas manufacturers had been contaminated with NDMA.
Not all drugs containing valsartan are under a recall. The defective drugs have been linked to the following valsartan manufacturers:
- Zhejiang Huahai Pharmaceutical (China)
- Hetero Labs Limited (India)
- Mylan Pharmaceutical Company
A number of pharmaceutical companies are involved in the Valsartan Recall including:
- A-S Medication Solutions
- Bryant Rank Prepack
- Camber Pharmaceuticals
- Hetero Labs, Inc.
- HJ Harkins Company
- Major Pharmaceuticals
- Mylan Pharmaceuticals
- Northwind Pharmaceuticals
- NuCare Pharmaceuticals
- Preferred Pharmaceuticals
- Prinston Pharmaceutical
- RemedyRepack Inc.
- Solco Healthcare
- Teva Pharmaceuticals
- Torrent Pharmaceuticals Limited
The FDA continues to update its list of recall valsartan products and their manufacturers.
If you have suffered any health issues as a result of taking a recalled valsartan drug, do NOT hesitate to contact the defective drug attorneys at William Kherkher right now.
Symptoms and Side Effects of Valsartan Injuries
The main cause of concern for individuals using Valsartan is the chemical known as NDMA. These types of chemicals are in a class called “genotoxic impurities” and have the potential to cause harm to individuals, even at low levels.
Short-term exposure to NDMA can lead to:
- Abdominal cramps
- Issues with liver, kidneys, and lungs
- Liver damage (i.e. liver fibrosis and scarring)
Long-term exposure to NDMA can lead to an increased risk of developing:
- Liver cancer
- Stomach cancer
- Colorectal cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Kidney Cancer
Do I Have a Claim?
Individuals who believe they have suffered a valsartan-related injury should consider the following criteria. These standards are set in place to ensure that only those dealing with legitimate health-threatening issues related to valsartan-containing medications are able to seek out the recovery they need.
You may potentially have a claim if:
- You suffered from the following type of cancer or injury between 2016 to present:
- Liver cancer
- Stomach cancer
- Colorectal cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Kidney Cancer
- You used a drug containing valsartan or any combination for at least 180 days between 2015 to present.
- You used Valsartan for at least six months before developing cancer.
It is worth noting that the following confounding factors may have attributed to your potential injury:
- Alcohol abuse
- Family history
- Genetic conditions
- Occupational exposure to carcinogens
With more than three decades of experience handling product liability cases, including defective drug claims, our team has the experience, skill, and resources needed to successfully litigate your claim. Working with a team of experts that include medical professionals, investigators, and other law field professionals, we’ll develop a comprehensive claim so that you get every bit of compensation you deserve.
- Billions in client recovery
- Unparalleled experience
- Nationally-recognized attorneys
- NO FEE unless we win
Contact Williams Hart today at (888) 220-0640 when you need an experienced and trustworthy team to handle your Valsartan injury claim.
Compensation for Your Defective Drug Injury
Depending on the circumstances of your defective drug claim, as well as the injuries suffered from taking Valsartan, our dedicated product liability lawyers at Williams Hart will fight to recover damages for but not limited to:
- Medical Expenses – When you file a defective drug injury claim, you can fight for compensation to cover current and future medical expenses related to your injury.
- Pain and Suffering – These damages cover quality of life changes and will vary by case.
- Loss Wages and Future Earnings – Your product liability lawyers at Williams Hart will fight for the recovery of any lost or future wages if your injury does not allow you to return back to work.
- Loss of Consortium – Serious injuries that occur as a result of a defective drug do not only affect the victim but their loved ones as well. Loss of consortium damages will help to cover injuries that affect your relationships with your spouse and/or children.
- Funeral Expenses – Should your loved one have suffered a wrongful death as a result of taking Valsartan, your lawyers at William Kherkher will help families to secure funeral expenses and other wrongful death related damages.
- Punitive Damages – This type of compensation is awarded when it is proven that the negligent company or manufacturer acted in a malicious, fraudulent, or grossly negligent behavior.
As nationally recognized product liability and defective drug injury attorneys, the legal team at William Kherkher has the skill and dedication to bring the Big Pharma companies who have harmed you or your loved one to justice.
FDA Major Valsartan Recall Timeline Events
The FDA recall process for products containing valsartan began in the summer of 2018 and FDA news releases have consistently arrived since the initial announcement:
- 7/13/2018 – FDA announces a voluntary recall of several medicines containing valsartan following detection of an impurity.
- 7/18/2018 – FDA updates health care professionals and patients on recent valsartan recalls and provides a detail list of products included in the recall.
- 7/24/2018 – FDA publishes a list of valsartan-containing products NOT part of the recall.
- 7/27/2018 – FDA provides analysis of NDMA levels in recalled valsartan in the U.S. as well as updates on the recalled valsartan-containing products.
- 8/2/2018 – FDA updates its list of recalled valsartan-containing products and products not part of the recall; FDA reminds manufacturers to evaluate processes for unsafe impurities.
- 8/20/2018 – FDA updates recalled valsartan-containing product information list and presents NDMA levels in some foods.
- 8/22-8/224/2018 – Torrent Pharmaceutical Limited expands its voluntary recall.
- 9/28/2018 – FDA places Zhejiang Huahai Pharmaceuticals on import alert.
- 10/11/2018 – FDA releases method for detection and quantification of both NDMA and NDEA.
- 10/24/2018 – FDA updates recalled valsartan-containing product information list.
- 11/21/2018 – FDA alerts patients and health care professionals to Mylan’s recall of valsartan products due to NDEA.
- 11/27/2018 – FDA alerts patients and health care professionals to Teva’s recall of valsartan products due to NDEA.
- 12/6/2018 – Mylan expands its voluntary recall of valsartan-containing products.
- 1/2/2019 – FDA alerts patients and health care professionals to Aurobindo’s recall of valsartan medication due to NDEA.
Your team at Williams Hart is carefully monitoring all news released by the FDA regarding valsartan-containing drugs so that we are on top of the defective brands and lot numbers that could be detrimental to your health.
What to Do If You Are Taking a Recalled Valsartan Drug
If you are taking a valsartan-based drug, it is recommended that you:
- Contact your doctor or pharmacist to see if there is a replacement medication or different treatment option.
- Continue to take the medication until otherwise notified by your doctor or pharmacist. The health issues that arise from NOT taking the drug could be higher than the risk of taking it.
- Check the FDA website frequently for updates on the recall.
- Be aware that not all valsartan-containing drugs have been affected by the recall. A list of medications that have been recalled can be found here. If you are uncertain if your medication has been affected by the recall, please contact your pharmacist for additional support.
- If you are suffering from any unusual symptoms related to the recalled medication, contact your doctor immediately.
As previously mentioned, continue to take the medication until otherwise notified by your doctor or pharmacist. High blood pressure leads to an increased risk of heart attacks or strokes. This can greatly increase the risk of hospitalization or even death. Call Williams Hart at (888) 220-0640 to schedule your FREE, no-obligation consultation today.