Two Angleton Men Severely Injured in Workplace Explosion
Two Angleton workers were severely burned Thursday when fumes in a tank they were painting exploded, burning them over much of their bodies.
According to reports, the explosion was so severe that it sent the men to Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston with serious burns to between 75 percent and 100 percent of their bodies. A third worker was also injured in the flash fire incident, but he was treated at the scene and refused to be taken to the hospital.
The explosion occurred at Thermal Polymer Systems, a company that specializes in coating tanks. They service tanks for chemical companies, power plants, oil refineries, and nuclear plants. The company is located on the 900 block of Highway 288-B, near Kiber Street.
While the police investigation is undergoing, initial speculation holds that a nearby shop light the workers were using caused the fumes in the tank to suddenly ignite. The explosion was so violently sudden that there was little to no structural damage done. The fumes caught fire and burned out almost immediately.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is conducting an investigation to determine the level of fault the company holds in the injuries.
The scene of the accident was evaluated by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, which found that there were environmental hazards at the workplace.
Thermal Polymer Systems has no previous history of incidents or accidents. The owners of the company met with their employees on Friday to discuss the accident, the ongoing investigation, and to offer counseling if necessary.
“We’re […] devastated,” said one of the owners. “We’re a very tight, close-knit family out here. Our employees are handling it the very best they can.”
If you or someone you love has been injured in workplace accident, you may be entitled to financial compensation. To discuss your case with an experienced Houston work injury attorney, contact (800) 220-9341 today by calling (800) 220-9341.