Driver Distraction Victims Attorneys in Houston
In the United States, driving is the preferred form of transportation; for a country that relies so heavily on automobiles, however, our ability to drive safely is quite easily and frequently compromised by various distractions. Drivers who engage in other activities while driving take a portion of the attention they should afford to the road and exhaust it on something else. The effects of distracted driving can be disastrous and result in serious injury or even death.
The legal team at the Williams Hart recognizes that drivers who partake in this reckless behavior deserve to be held responsible for the consequences of their actions. Our Houston distracted driver victim attorneys are devoted to helping the victims of distracted drivers develop a strong case and secure any compensation for which they may be eligible. Contact us at (888) 220-0640 to schedule a free consultation.
Types of Distracted Driving
When people think of distracted driving, they often assume cell phones are the main culprit. While cell phone use while driving is one of the most common causes of car accidents in the United States, there are many different ways for a driver to be distracted. These distractions can be differentiated into three main categories, which include:
- Visual: When a driver takes his or her eyes off the road, they immediately increases their chances of getting into a crash. Visual distractions can include texting and other phone use or even looking at someone else in the car.
- Manual: When a driver takes his or her hands off the wheel, the car is more prone to swerving or sudden adjustments that can result in a collision. Manual distractions can include applying makeup, eating, and drinking.
- Cognitive: Whenever a driver takes their mind off of driving, the lack of focus slows down reaction times. Thus, daydreaming or experiencing strong emotions (such as crying or anger) can be dangerous while driving.
Each type of distraction has the potential to put other drivers and pedestrians at risk. Accidents that occur as a result of a distracted driver can cause serious damage and leave the victim in a financial rut, dealing with large medical bills and lost wages.
Effects of Distracted Driving
Distracted driving accidents have one overarching theme: they are all preventable. This fact is what makes them so frustrating for the people hurt in these accidents. The causes of these accidents include:
- Not noticing turn signals or brake lights
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Poor lane position
- Ignorance of road conditions (e.g. ending lanes, construction, etc.)
All of these effects can result in devastating accidents, including the injury or death of people in other cars, pedestrians, and animals.
Contact a Driver Distraction Attorney in Houston
If you or someone you love was a victim of an accident caused by a distracted driver, contact our office to discuss your case. Our firm has the extensive experience and knowledge to help you build a strong case against the responsible party and obtain any financial compensation you may be entitled to. To learn more and speak with a member of our team, call Williams Hart at (888) 220-0640 today.