Attorney Sean McCarthy is well versed in complex commercial disputes and handles the firms’ international litigation practice. He has represented business clients in a wide array of matters ranging from international trade treaty disputes to West Africa oil and gas disputes with taxation issues. He has litigated these matters in state and federal courts and domestic and international arbitration. He also leads the firm’s insurance litigation docket and regularly represents policyholders and beneficiaries against insurance companies covering wrongfully denied or underpaid insurance claims in the areas of medical, property, and life insurance.
Sean has experience in all aspects of civil litigation, including discovery, expert witness preparation, motion practice, oral arguments, mediation, arbitration, and trial. He also has appellate experience and argued successfully to affirm an award for his client before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
His breadth of knowledge and skills are a valuable addition to the Williams Hart team, where we have the knowledge and access to resources necessary in battling any organization or state that has violated the rights of an individual. And Sean will not back down from any battle; there is nothing that will hinder his tenacity to do what is right for his clients.
Sean is licensed to practice in Texas, as well as before all four District Courts of Texas and the United States Courts of Appeal for the Fifth and Eleventh Circuits. He is a member of several legal professional associations and was named a Super Lawyers Texas Rising Stars in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017.
Areas of Practice
- Energy, Oil and Gas Litigation
- Shareholder Rights Disputes
- Directors & Officers Liability
- Investor Litigation
- Fraud Claims
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty Claims
- Contract Disputes
- Business Torts
- Domestic & International Arbitration
- Prior to joining Williams Hart, Sean was an associate at Jones Day in their Houston office. He was a member of the trial group, where his emphasis was on complex commercial litigation.
- University of Houston Law Center
- Juris Doctorate, magna cum laude, 2008
- Editor of the Houston Law Review, 2007-2008
- Member of the Order of the Coif
- Member of the Order of Barons
- United States Air Force Academy
- Bachelor of Science, Political Science, 2000
Legal Memberships and Professional Affiliations
- American Association of Justice
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- United States Air Force Academy Association of Graduates
- Super Lawyers Texas Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, 2014-2017
Licensed to Practice
- United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- All United States District Courts in Texas